Saturday, August 18, 2007

four weeks until the walk

Well, the walk is exactly four weeks from today. I finally got the new motherboard for the laptop in the mail yesterday, and I'm happy to report that I'm posting this from the laptop, as I've gotten it up and running again as of this morning!

The highlight of the week for me regarding walk activities came on Tuesday. I had posted a bunch of information outside my office regarding my walk participation. A knock came on my door Tuesday afternoon and a smiling face introduced herself as Karen. Karen, I learned, has PKD and, as is usually the case, a history of it throughout her family. She had noticed the information I had posted outside my door and wanted to know more about what was going on. In talking to her, I was surprised to learn that even though she was diagnosed with PKD eight years ago and is actively monitoring her kidney function and very well informed on recent advances related to PKD, she was unfamiliar with the PKD Foundation and didn't realize there was a walk for PKD. I filled her in as to my own personal involvement and pointed her to the pkdcure.org website so she could learn more about all of the great things that are going on to help fight PKD. It was a very rewarding feeling to have made this connection.

Besides that, I am happy to report that the donations are still coming in, and we are still working hard to distribute the Walk for PKD posters which Heidi sent.

No comments: